Become a Member
Our Mission: South Metro Federal Credit Union is a member-owned financial cooperative which provides financial products, services and education enabling Members to achieve personal and financial goals and improve their quality of life.
Who Can Join South Metro?
South Metro membership is an exclusive benefit for individuals who meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Any person who lives or works in Scott County, Hennepin County, and/or Carver County of Minnesota.
- Any member of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
- Individual members and members of those cooperative groups that are members of Shared Capital Cooperative (see other tab).
- Immediate family members of these residents are also eligible for South Metro membership regardless of where they live. Find out more.
The Shared Capital Cooperative is a cooperatively owned community development loan fund committed to fostering economic democracy by investing in cooperative enterprises. The Shared Capital Cooperative, formerly the Northcountry Cooperative Development Fund, was founded in 1978 and provides financing to natural foods, consumer, producer, housing, and worker-owned cooperatives throughout the United States. This organization is certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and serves more than 170 cooperative members in more than 30 states.
Any cooperative or individual join the Shared Capital Cooperative. Your one-time donation of $10 or more will be used to provide assistance to cooperatives and groups of individuals operating or intending to operate on a cooperative basis. If you or your employer are a member then you are, in turn, eligible to join South Metro.
For more information, visit the Shared Capital Cooperative at SharedCapital.coop.
Membership Lasts a Lifetime
A member retains their membership on the basis of “once a member, always a member” status. If membership is established by a child 12 years or younger, a parent member must sign for the child.
How to Join
- Fill out an interest indicator.
- A Basic Membership requires make an initial deposit of $5.00. A minimum deposit of $100.00 is required to open a Checking account, and a photo copy of your Drivers’ License or picture ID (signed) is required.
- Stop by any South Metro Federal Credit Union to finish your application. If you prefer, you may mail your completed paperwork to our office along with an initial deposit.
- Your membership card and deposit receipt will be mailed back to you, along with additional credit union information.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PROCEDURES FOR OPENING A NEW ACCOUNT
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you: When you open an account we will ask for your name, address, date of birth. And other information that will allow us to identify you. We may ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
We bring competitive rates, fewer fees, and a more personal approach to lending. Get your next loan at South Metro.
Get exclusive credit union discounts on things you use every day. Visit LoveMyCreditUnion.org for more information. It's all free for our members! For example, the Sprint Credit Union Member Discount Plan includes:
New Customers to Sprint
- Credit union members earn $100 in cash rewards per new line on unlimited lines with Sprint
- Credit union members receive a $100 annual loyalty reward every year
- Plus, 25% off select accessories purchased in Sprint stores
Current Sprint Customers*
- Credit union members who transfer into the program receive a $100 annual loyalty reward on their 12-month anniversary of transferring into the Cash Reward program
- Existing Sprint customers can earn $100 in cash rewards per new line with Sprint
- 25% off select accessories purchased in Sprint stores
All members must register at LoveMyCreditUnion.org/SprintRewards to enjoy these exclusive benefits.
Members who registered prior to 11/21, will be grandfathered into the program terms and conditions at the time of their activation and registration.
Updated Terms and Conditions:
Limited time offers. Activ. Fee: Up to $30/line. Credit approval req. Cash Reward Offers: Avail. for eligible credit union members & member employees with qualifying corp. id. (ongoing verification). $100 Cash Reward for new smartphone lines activ. up to 15 lines. Req. activ. at point of sale. Excludes CL, MBB devices, tablets, Sprint Phone Connect, upgrs., replacements & ports made between Sprint entities or providers associated with Sprint. Limit one SWP Corp ID per Sprint acct. No add’l. discounts apply. Loyalty Reward: $100/acct./yr. when Sprint acct. remains active and in good standing each yr. Transfer Reward: Members participating in another discount program are eligible for a $100/acct./yr. deposit on their 12mo anniversary transferred to Cash Reward program. Deposit: Cash Reward issued by CU Solutions Group. Sprint acct. must remain active and in good standing for 31 days to receive Cash Reward. Allow 6-8 wks. for Cash Reward to be deposited to your Credit Union acct. If the Cash Reward does not appear after 8 wks., visit lovemycreditunion.org/sprintrewards & click on “Cash Rewards Tracker”. Other Terms: Offer/coverage not avail. everywhere or for all phones/networks. May not be combinable with other offers. Offer, terms, restrictions, & options subject to change & may be modified, discontinued, or terminated at any time without notice. Restrictions apply. © 2018 Sprint. All rights reserved. Sprint & the logo are trademarks of Sprint. Other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Save More with South Metro FCU and TurboTax®
South Metro has teamed up with TurboTax to make filing taxes faster, easier, and worry-free. Your filings are secure and accurate. Calculations are 100% guaranteed by Turbo Tax Online*.
Confidently file your taxes with TurboTax Online:
- Complete your simple federal return for free or receive up to a $15 discount on other Turbo Tax Online paid editions.
- Have step-by-step instructions and questions throughout provide help and advice for all users.
- Get your refund in as fast as 10 days when you email and elect direct deposit – about a month faster than regular mail.
- Relax knowing your tax data is protected.
- Your returns done by Turbo Tax Online.
*TurboTax and TurboTax Online, among others, are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Valleyfair! discount tickets
Save on a daily Valleyfair! admission by purchasing your tickets at South Metro Federal Credit Union.
The legend of the 16th century comes to life at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. A successful blend of lively entertainment, unusual foods, unique crafts and family fun, this event blends all the ingredients for a 16th century amusement.
Located in Shakopee, the festival runs for seven fun-filled weekends every August and September. Rain or shine and FREE parking.
When you join, you become a member/owner of the Credit Union and annually elect its Board of Directors. You are eligible to serve on key committees; and you have a direct voice - a vote - in how the organization is run. We return our profits to our members in the form of better rates and fewer fees on our services, which include:
- Safe Deposit Boxes
- Money Orders & Wire Transfers
- Securities signature guarantees
- Notary Service - When you need a signature guarantee certification, SMFCU can provide that for you on your bonds, security or financial instruments.
Did You Know?
Your money is SAFE with our deposit insurance at no cost to you, the depositor. Your deposits are insured up to $500,000 through the combined coverage of the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the U.S. government, and Excess Share Insurance (ESI).
Routing #: 091981646 | NMLS ID # 1059389
WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE
We at South Metro Federal Credit Union are committed to the digital inclusion and providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience in accordance with certain standards and guidelines. We are striving consistently to conform to WCAG 2.0 Level AA of accessibility. If you run into any barriers, please reach out to us at 952-445-0888 or MemberServices@SouthMet.com.