Become a Member
Our Mission:To provide financial services to our Members that will enable South Metro FCU to become the financial institution of choice.
Who Can Join South Metro?
South Metro membership is an exclusive benefit for individuals who meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Any person who lives or works in Scott County, Hennepin County, and/or Carver County of Minnesota.
- Any member of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
- Individual members and members of those cooperative groups that are members of Shared Capital Cooperative (see other tab).
- Immediate family members of these residents are also eligible for South Metro membership regardless of where they live.
The Shared Capital Cooperative is a cooperatively owned community development loan fund committed to fostering economic democracy by investing in cooperative enterprises. The Shared Capital Cooperative, formerly the Northcountry Cooperative Development Fund, was founded in 1978 and provides financing to natural foods, consumer, producer, housing, and worker-owned cooperatives throughout the United States. This organization is certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and serves more than 170 cooperative members in more than 30 states.
Any cooperative or individual join the Shared Capital Cooperative. Your one-time donation of $10 or more will be used to provide assistance to cooperatives and groups of individuals operating or intending to operate on a cooperative basis. If you or your employer are a member then you are, in turn, eligible to join South Metro.
For more information, visit the Shared Capital Cooperative at SharedCapital.coop.
Membership Lasts a Lifetime
A member retains their membership on the basis of “once a member, always a member” status. If membership is established by a child 12 years or younger, a parent member must sign for the child.
How to Join
Step 1. Apply Online
Select ‘New Member Account’ from the list of options that appear when you start your application. If you’re looking for a loan, go ahead and select your loan type instead. We’ll set up your membership when approved.
Step 2. Qualify for Membership
Step 3. Fund your account
Under Available Products, select any other savings account types that you would like to open. (Loan applications must be filled out separately.) A minimum deposit of $100.00 is required to open a Checking account, and a photo copy of your Drivers’ License or picture ID (signed) is required.
Step 4. Tell us about you
We bring competitive rates, fewer fees, and a more personal approach to lending. Get your next loan at South Metro.
Members can save on a variety of products and services like TurboTax, H&R Block, Spectrum Mobile, and more through Love My Credit Union Rewards. Visit LoveMyCreditUnion.org today!
Please note: vendor discounts are subject to change without notice.
When you join, you become a member/owner of the Credit Union. We return our profits to our members in the form of better rates and fewer fees on our services, which include:
- Safe Deposit Boxes
- Money Orders & Wire Transfers
- Securities signature guarantees
- Notary Service - When you need a signature guarantee certification, SMFCU can provide that for you on your bonds, security or financial instruments.
- Dividends - Members are eligible to receive dividends from our profits/reserves. You can receive dividends on funds in your checking and/or savings accounts. See our Consumer Savings Rates to learn more.
- Insurance - You can get $3000 of coverage, paid for by your credit union and provided by CMFG Life Insurance Company. You can also get up to an additional $300,000 AD&D coverage from CMFG Life at affordable rates. Sign up for your no-cost or additional protection today.
- Scholarships - In partnership with the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation Scholarship Council, members of South Metro FCU are eligible for $1,000 scholarships. Learn more.
Did You Know?
Your money is SAFE with our deposit insurance at no cost to you, the depositor. Your deposits are insured up to $500,000 through the combined coverage of the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the U.S. government, and Excess Share Insurance (ESI).
Routing #: 091981646 | NMLS ID # 1059389
WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE
We at South Metro Federal Credit Union are committed to the digital inclusion and providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience in accordance with certain standards and guidelines. We are striving consistently to conform to WCAG 2.0 Level AA of accessibility. If you run into any barriers, please reach out to us at 952-445-0888 or MemberServices@SouthMet.com.