Become a Member
Our Mission: South Metro Federal Credit Union is a member-owned financial cooperative which provides financial products, services and education enabling Members to achieve personal and financial goals and improve their quality of life.
Who Can Join South Metro?
South Metro membership is an exclusive benefit for individuals who meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Any person who lives or works in Scott County, Hennepin County, and/or Carver County of Minnesota.
- Any member of the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
- Individual members and members of those cooperative groups that are members of Shared Capital Cooperative (see other tab).
- Immediate family members of these residents are also eligible for South Metro membership regardless of where they live. Find out more.
The Shared Capital Cooperative is a cooperatively owned community development loan fund committed to fostering economic democracy by investing in cooperative enterprises. The Shared Capital Cooperative, formerly the Northcountry Cooperative Development Fund, was founded in 1978 and provides financing to natural foods, consumer, producer, housing, and worker-owned cooperatives throughout the United States. This organization is certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and serves more than 170 cooperative members in more than 30 states.
Any cooperative or individual join the Shared Capital Cooperative. Your one-time donation of $10 or more will be used to provide assistance to cooperatives and groups of individuals operating or intending to operate on a cooperative basis. If you or your employer are a member then you are, in turn, eligible to join South Metro.
For more information, visit the Shared Capital Cooperative at SharedCapital.coop.
Membership Lasts a Lifetime
A member retains their membership on the basis of “once a member, always a member” status. If membership is established by a child 12 years or younger, a parent member must sign for the child.
How to Join
- Fill out an interest indicator.
- A Basic Membership requires make an initial deposit of $5.00. A minimum deposit of $100.00 is required to open a Checking account, and a photo copy of your Drivers’ License or picture ID (signed) is required.
- Stop by any South Metro Federal Credit Union to finish your application. If you prefer, you may mail your completed paperwork to our office along with an initial deposit.
- Your membership card and deposit receipt will be mailed back to you, along with additional credit union information.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT PROCEDURES FOR OPENING A NEW ACCOUNT
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you: When you open an account we will ask for your name, address, date of birth. And other information that will allow us to identify you. We may ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
We bring competitive rates, fewer fees, and a more personal approach to lending. Get your next loan at South Metro.
Save More with South Metro FCU and TurboTax®
Confidently file your taxes with TurboTax Online:
- Complete your simple federal return for free or receive up to a $15 discount on other Turbo Tax Online paid editions.
- Have step-by-step instructions and questions throughout provide help and advice for all users.
- Get your refund in as fast as 10 days when you email and elect direct deposit – about a month faster than regular mail.
- Relax knowing your tax data is protected.
*TurboTax and TurboTax Online, among others, are registered trademarks and/or service marks of Intuit Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Valleyfair! discount tickets
Save on a daily Valleyfair! admission by purchasing your tickets at South Metro Federal Credit Union.
The legend of the 16th century comes to life at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. A successful blend of lively entertainment, unusual foods, unique crafts and family fun, this event blends all the ingredients for a 16th century amusement.
Located in Shakopee, the festival runs for seven fun-filled weekends every August and September. Rain or shine and FREE parking.
When you join, you become a member/owner of the Credit Union and annually elect its Board of Directors. You are eligible to serve on key committees; and you have a direct voice - a vote - in how the organization is run. We return our profits to our members in the form of better rates and fewer fees on our services, which include:
- Safe Deposit Boxes
- Money Orders & Wire Transfers
- Securities signature guarantees
- Notary Service - When you need a signature guarantee certification, SMFCU can provide that for you on your bonds, security or financial instruments.
Did You Know?
Your money is SAFE with our deposit insurance at no cost to you, the depositor. Your deposits are insured up to $500,000 through the combined coverage of the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the U.S. government, and Excess Share Insurance (ESI).
Routing #: 091981646 | NMLS ID # 1059389
WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE
We at South Metro Federal Credit Union are committed to the digital inclusion and providing a website that is accessible to the widest possible audience in accordance with certain standards and guidelines. We are striving consistently to conform to WCAG 2.0 Level AA of accessibility. If you run into any barriers, please reach out to us at 952-445-0888 or MemberServices@SouthMet.com.